FOOTBALL Latest Sports News League Two Local News

Cheltenham Town in stalemate against Port Vale at the Jonny-Rocks Stadium but keep promotion hopes alive

Cheltenham Town drew 0-0 with promotion rivals Port Vale at the Jonny-Rocks stadium in a high-temper affair in League Two.


The visitors hit the bar and were awarded a penalty by referee Scott Duncan in the first half, only for it to be overturned much to the Vale supporters dismay.

The visitors made a positive start, with a good piece of defending from Charlie Raglan cutting out a dangerous cross from David Amoo in the first minute.

The Robins came back into it five minutes later when Vales’ keeper, Scott Brown, was forced to parry a dangerous ball in from Chriss Hussey away from the lurking Alfie May.


But it was Vale who came closest to opening the scoring, David Worrall crossed for Mark Cullen, whose header smacked the face of the bar with Owen Evans well beaten.

A lively start continued when May had a great chance of his own, lifting the ball over the keeper with a delicate lob only for it to be cleared off the line.

May was again in with a chance of opening the scoring, after arriving at the far post to meet Sean Long’s whipped cross, he couldn’t make contact only a few yards from goal.

The bright start fizzled out somewhat and Tom Conlon could only fire a tame effort at Evans on a dangerous counter-attack.

The Valiants thought they had a penalty when Charlie raglan brought down Worrall with a clean tackle, and after consulting with the linesman, Scott Duncan overturned his original decision.

Mark Cullen went close again early in the second half, but after nodding Amoo’s cross goal-bound, Evans was there to save it.

Just past the hour mark Vale missed a great chance to go in front. Conlon’s lovely ball over the top put Amoo one-on-one, but the dangerous frontman saw his low drive whistle just wide of the left-hand post.

A dangerous Robins attack almost broke the deadlock late on, Broom had a shot blocked before the ball fell to May, who twisted and turned before seeing his shot roll wide for a corner.


Substitute Jonte Smith had a golden chance with 5 minutes to go, the ball falling to him after Will Boyle knocked it on from the corner, the striker could only turn it wide well inside the side yard area.

Here’s what Robins boss Michael Duff made of the draw that ended his sides 5 match winning run.


Jacob Greaves spoke to Park Life Sport to describe how it felt to be back on the pitch after a five game absence.

He said: “I think it was quite a scrappy game, not much quality in the game which is unlike us.

“Normally at home we move the ball around well, but it wasn’t to be today, so we just made sure we kept a clean sheet – and that’s what we did.”


“Obviously happy to come back in and keep a clean sheet. I’ll go back and have a little watch of how I did.

Today we tried to play a little bit longer, which we did talk about but I think we did a little bit too much of it today.

“Buzzing, unfortunate for (Ben) Tozer who’s hurt his ankle. It’s disappointing for the team but for me I’ve got a chance to come back in and do well.”

On his thoughts on the loan spell so far: “I’ve loved it, coming in and playing lots of League Two football which is what I’ve wanted.

“I’ve enjoyed every minute of it, plenty of highs and lows but that’s part and parcel of football.”


After a run of three consecutive matches against promotion contenders, the Robins next four matches are against teams in the bottom half, before they visit local rivals Forest Green.

Michael Duff’s side sit in fifth position, four points off the automatic promotion places with a game in hand and seven points ahead of eighth placed Port Vale.

Cheltenham Town (3-5-2): Evans, Raglan, Boyle (c), Greaves; Long, Thomas (Ince, 60’), Sheaf (Doyle-Hayes, 60’), Broom, Hussey; May, Reid (Smith, 76).

Subs not used: Lovett, Debayo, Clements, Nichols, Smith.

Port Vale: (4-3-3): Brown, Gibbons, Legge (c), Smith, Clark; Burgess, Joyce, Conlon; Amoo (Browne, 78’), Cullen (Pope, 70’), Worral.

Subs not used: Maddison, Crookes, Oyeleke, Atkinson, Bennett.

Referee: Scott Duncan

Attendance: 3,741 (624 away)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *