Gloucestershire football non-league round up: Cirencester score four, Slimbridge and Cheltenham Saracens both draw

Cirencester Town have moved to the top of the Southern League Division One South, while Storm Alex postponed a number of fixtures across Gloucestershire.

Embed from Getty Images

John Brough said he was relishing the chance to propel Cirencester up the Southern League Division One South table when he took charge of the Centurions in December.

With three wins out of three this campaign, Brough’s side sit comfortably at the South Division summit following up a 2-0 win over Thatcham Town with a 4-0 win over Cinderford Town on Saturday.


Southern League Division One South

Cirencester Town 4-0 Cinderford Town

Cinderford arrived at The Corinium Stadium unbeaten after two league games under new manager Steve Cleal to face Cirencester, who also boasted a 100% record after starting respective league and FA Trophy campaigns in good form.

Cirencester were able to make the most of some strong winds to force Cinderford towards their own goal for much of the first-half.

Josh Parsons opened the scoring for Cirencester before a freak own-goal doubled the Centurions’ lead. Parsons shortly doubled his own tally on half-time and Ciren were full value for their 3-0 first-half display.

Cinderford had threatened to score through Liam Wright and Zack Drew, but both efforts were ultimately in vain for the visitors.

Within a minute of the re-start, Cirencester increased their lead again. Parsons worked hard on the left flank to turn provider for Brad Gray, who netted a fourth from close range.

Bideford 2-2 Slimbridge

After a long trip down to Devon, Slimbridge left the Gloucestershire wind and rain for a south-coast storm at the weekend. The visiting Swans made two changes from a midweek defeat to Bristol Manor Farm.

Despite some indifferent form, Lee Driver-Dickerson’s side started on the front foot and found the game’s first goal after seven minutes. Promising interplay between Johan Flo and Edji Mbunga started a silky move that ended with Will Hawes striking from the edge of the box to beat Bideford goalkeeper Liam Kingston.

Four minutes later Slimbridge extended their lead though Jay Malshanskyj. Carrying the ball from deep, Malshanskyj struck from range to add a second for Slimbridge.

The hosts battled before half-time to halve their deficit and found a goal through Adam Carter after a spell of pressure in the Slimbridge half.

It wasn’t until the 73rd minute that the visitors had a chance to regain their two-goal cushion. Malshanskyj latched onto Hawes’ through ball but failed to convert past the onrushing Liam Kingston, whose making a real impression for Bideford following his move from Weston Super Mare last season.

Slimbridge would ultimately pay for ruing missed chances as ten minutes from time, Carter converted from close range after goalkeeper Lewis Adams parried Lewis Wilsons’ long range effort.

The Swans continue their league campaign when they travel to Highworth Town on Wednesday night.

Hellenic League One West

Clanfield 85 2-2 Cheltenham Saracens

Cheltenham Saracens travelled to Radcot Road in pursuit of their first win in three outings. Having dropped a lead to Hellenic League One West bottom side Cirencester Town Development in midweek, Ryan Betteridge’s Saracens wanted to go one better against Clanfield 85.

The visitors stormed into an early lead from the penalty spot before adding a second after half-time, but Betteridge’s side would let a comfortable lead slip with only seven minutes left to play.

17-year-old Kyle Chester netted his first senior goal before Isaac Oliver converted Alfie Saunders’ corner in the 94th minute.

Saracens will look to get back to winning ways as they welcome Hereford Lads Club to Petersfield Park on Tuesday.

Newent Town 4-0 Stonehouse Town

After successive league loses to Hereford Lads Club and Malvern Town, Stonehouse Town picked up their first three points of the campaign to Moreton Rangers before Newent Town welcomed Chris Burns’ Town to Wildsmith Meadow.

Stonehouse didn’t make the trip north of Gloucester last season due to the Coronavirus outbreak disrupting the ending of the 2019-20 season, but Newent made sure they made up for last season’s cancellation.

Pat Gibbs scored the game’s first goal after four minutes before Tom Boyle doubled Newent’s lead after 15 with a powerful header.

Tyler Weir made it three before half-time came for a lacklustre Stonehouse side who finished above their Gloucestershire rivals by 13 points and four places in season’s Hellenic League One West table.

Jordan Cooper’s late strike capped an impressive performance for Daffs.

Embed from Getty Images

MARCLIFF Gloucestershire County Football League

AEK Boco 3-2 Quedgeley Wanderers

AEK Boco retained their perfect start to the MARCLIFF Gloucestershire County Football League Division One table with a 3-2 win over Quedgeley Wanderers. 

Alfie Clarke gave Boco an early lead before Cory Langdon extended their advantage inside 20 minutes. Josh Claxton then halved the deficit on half-time, but Boco were full value for their slender lead.

Brad Wheadon made sure of the points for the hosts despite Louis Peyton getting one back late on for Quedgeley.

Sharpness 5-0 Hanham Athletic

Sharpness recorded a 5-0 victory for the second week running at home to Hanham Athletic. Brad Gibbs and Dan Turner combined for the opener inside six minutes before Gibbs and Tom Paterson added two more for Sharpness before half-time.

A long range shot from Ben Alexander was the only effort Hanham could muster before Gibbs got his a second after pinball in the box. Then came a second goal from Turner, with a smart turn and finish in the box to complete the rout for Sharpness. 

Debutant Will Attwooll was unlucky not to add a sixth if it wasn’t for Hanham goalkeeper, Mason Hawkins.

Frampton 3-0 Hardwicke

Frampton United saw off local rivals Hardwicke with a 3-0 win at the Bridge Ground.

Ashley Bird saw his effort well saved by Frampton keeper Aaron Taylor after 18 minutes, but the stalemate wouldn’t last for long as United got the opening goal on 25 minutes through Ryan Vincent.

Adam Cox added a second in the second-half before Vincent struck from distance to complete the comfortable win for Frampton.

Bromley Heath United 0-4 Wick

Wick continued their good form with a win over Bromley Heath United. In contrast, the defeated visitors are four without a win in Division One.

Wick were kept at bay until Jordan Yeo broke the deadlock ten minutes before the interval and it stayed that way until the 75th minute.

Mike Hardiman converted a penalty to all but condemn Bromley Heath to their fourth successive loss before Nathan Gore and Yeo completed the rout.

Shirehampton 0-2 Gala Wilton 

Shirehampton’s second home game of the season saw Gala Wilton go home with all three points after a 2-0 win.

After a first-half lacking creativity or any chances for either side, it took until the 58th minute for Ryan Dobbins and Gala to open the scoring. His header from close range was shortly followed up by his second of the game.

A simple tap in doubled his and Gala’s tally and despite Shirehampton making a host of substitutions in a bid to get back into the game, but to no avail.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *