Latest Sports News

Stratford Town 1-0 Halesowen Town: Match Report

Stratford Town continued their fantastic home form after Jack Storer’s wonder goal set them on their way to climbing into the playoff places. 

The Bards started off quickly as Chris Hussey played a wonderful free kick into the captain, Paul McCone, who was able to get his header on the end of it, but Dan Platt made a fantastic save to keep the score level. 

As expected though, both teams were playing very cautious to make sure neither side blinked first. It took a bit of a time for another chance to be found in this game, but this time it came from the visitors as they found themselves through on goal, only for Callum Smith to make an equally great save as Platt’s. 

With half time on the horizon, Stratford found themselves on the end of two great opportunities to take the lead. Jack Storer found himself some room outside of the box and although it was an ambitious effort, it wasn’t too far away. That doesn’t compare to Callum Ebanks’ chance though who will be kicking himself for not scoring after making some space for himself inside the box to get a shot off, only to be denied with another good save from Platt. 

With the second half starting, it was clear that both sides decided to go for it a bit more. Stratford were the team who struck first though as much like in the first half, Storer once again created some room for himself outside the box, but this time he fired it into the top corner. 

With the debuting Thomas Hewlett coming on, Stratford were able to go through most of the second half without any scares. Now the full time whistle was near, Halesowen were able to get themselves one final chance to get an equaliser. The corner came in and with the ball bouncing all over the place, it took multiple blocks on the line before The Bards could breathe safely.

Gav Hurren said after the game, “It showed in that first half that we weren’t at match sharpness. We got in at half time, had a chat with the boys and went out there and I thought everybody just stepped it up.” 

Hurren also gave an update on Storer, who as well as scoring the winning goal, also got forced off with a knock. “I don’t know the extent of his injury, I couldn’t say so I would have to speak to the physio.”

This win now leaves Stratford in 5th place and two points clear of 6th place Stamford. Their next game is against Hitchin Town on 10th February. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *