Gloucester City remain in relegation places after 2-1 defeat at home to King’s Lynn Town in National League North.

Mike Cook’s Gloucester City failed to make it three wins on the spin this afternoon after losing 2-1 to King’s Lynn Town at home.

Cook made two changes from his side which won away at Bishop’s Stortford at the weekend as Liam Armstrong and Harry Leeson replace the departed Zack Jeacock and the injured Harry Emmett.

The opening exchanges were quiet for both sides as either side failed to create any chances of quality in the first 15 minutes.

There was however a lengthy first half stoppage as Joe Hanks was treated for a serious injury and had to be stretchered off as the City midfielder was replaced by Brandon Smalley.

Danny Wright tried his luck with a left footed volley from the edge of the box as the veteran striker could only guide his effort into the palms of Paul Jones in the King’s Lynn net.

Max Ram came closest in the first half as his flick on header from a corner grazed the top of the crossbar.

Jonathan Margetts nearly gave the away side the lead going into half-time as the forward knocked the ball past Armstrong in the City net but could only find the side netting.

Theo Robinson had a chance early in the second half after Wright knocked down the ball and set up his strike partner, but the forward couldn’t get his effort on target.

King’s Lynn broke the deadlock on 58 minutes courtesy of Owen Devonport who ran to the back-post to slot home a cross from Margetts.

Margetts nearly turned scorer from provider thanks to a lovely give and go with Dylan Crowe, but the striker struck the woodwork from close range.

King’s Lynn would get their second thanks to Margetts spinning his marker and chipping the ball over Armstrong in the City net.

Wright came close to getting one back for the home side but was denied after a brilliant reaction save from Jones in the King’s Lynn goal.

City captain Spencer Hamilton also had a chance to cut the deficit in half after his deflected header fell into the palms of Jones.

Despite City’s late efforts, they could not break King’s Lynn’s resolve for a second time as their winning streak came to an end.

Cook’s men remain in 22nd in the league as they travel to Chorley on Tuesday whilst King’s Lynn travel to Alfreton Town next Saturday as they look to keep their own survival hopes alive.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *