FOOTBALL Latest Sports News Non-League Sport

Hereford FC VS Blyth Spartans Match Report

Hereford returned to winning ways after they claimed a 5-2 win at home to Blyth Spartans.

Alex Babos took the lead in the 10th minute before Will McGowan equalised for the hosts half an hour later.

Just before half-time, Jason Cowley scored to put the hosts ahead before he scored his second and third of the game in the second half.

A late penalty scored by Nicky Deverdics pulled one back for the visitors before Andy Williams came off the bench to score the fifth.

The win moves Hereford back into the play-offs in sixth whilst Blyth remain in 13th.

Paul Caddis made three changes to the side that lost 3-0 to South Shields with debutant Lewis Hudson, Nathan Cameron and Aurio Teixeira coming in for Ollie Southern, Camron McWilliams and Maziar Kouhyar. 

There were two alterations to the Blyth side that lost 2-1 to Warrington made by Jon Shaw with Harrison Clark and Michael Liddle making way for Oliver Thompson and Jordan Hickey. 

The Bulls got off to a fantastic start when in the 10th minute Babos took the lead after he latched onto a ball that had been deflected into his path by a defender from a Lassana Mendes pass, the Welshman then calmly placed it past the keeper. 

After a very quiet period, Blyth drew level when McGowan picked out the run into the box of debutant Thompson who placed his shot past Curtis Pond and into the bottom right. 

On the cusp of half-time Hereford were back in front when Babos picked up a loose ball in the midfield, he then played Cowley in behind down the left who slotted it just inside the far post with his left foot, meaning that the hosts were 2-1 up half-time. 

Just before the hour mark Cowley scored his second of the game when he headed the ball past the keeper following a corner taken by Babos.

Shaw’s side came close 10 minutes later when a ball into the box from McGowan found Thompson at the back post. The latter connected with his head and forced a brilliant save by Pond at close range.

In the 71st minute, Cowley claimed his hat-trick when a ball over the top caused confusion amongst the Blyth back line. Langley hesitated to come off his line allowing Hereford’s number nine to get their first to tap the ball home. 

Just three minutes later Cowley nearly had his fourth when the ball dropped to him inside the box but his effort rattled the bar. 

On the 80th minute mark Blyth were awarded a penalty for a foul from Hudson. Nicky Deverdics stepped up and placed the spot kick into the bottom right. 

Straight after this Hereford killed the game off when former Cheltenham Town striker Andy Williams converted following a ball into the box meaning that the game finished 5-2. 

Hereford FC XI- C. Pond, A. Skinner, K. Howkins, N. Cameron, L. Hudson, A. Teixeira, L. Mendes, T. Obadeyi (K. Phillips 72’), A. Babos, Y. Ceesay (M. Kouhyar 59’), J. Cowley (A. Williams 74’)

Blyth Spartans XI- D. Langley, R. Evans, F. Cousin-Dawson, J. Bodenham, O. Thompson, J. Hickey (H. Clark 63’), J. Cook (C. Aitken 68’), E. Forbes, N. Deverdics, W. McGowan, H. Gardiner

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *