FA Cup FOOTBALL Sports News

FA Cup first-round round-up: Which non-league teams advanced to the second round?

The return of the FA Cup means more fairytale stories created from non-league clubs all over the country and the chance for fans to witness their local club make history.

With the first round coming to a close on Monday night when Oxford City took on Northampton Town, we looked at the first-round results so far, and what non-league teams have advanced to the next round to keep up their chances of putting themselves into the FA Cup hall of fame.

Banbury United 1-2 Canvey Island

Canvey Island sent themselves into the second round for the first time in 19 years, as the Isthmian League North Division side won 2-1 at Banbury United.

Goals from Connor Hubble and Elliot Ronto either side of Ricky Johnson’s goal for the home-side were enough to send the Essex-based side into the second round.

Swindon Town 1-2 Darlington

In one of the biggest shocks of the first round, National League North side Darlington pulled off an incredible 2-1 win over League One Swindon Town.

An Adam Campbell brace either side of Brett Pitman’s equaliser at the Country Ground gave the visitors the win.

The sixth division side’s victory over a managerless Swindon Town put them into the second round for the first time since the 2010-11 season, whilst Swindon crashed out of the competition in the first round for the seventh time in their last nine attempts.

Rochdale 1-2 Stockport County

An early goal-flourish at Rochdale saw National League side Stockport Country overcome League One Rochdale to progress to the second round for the second time in three years.

John Rooney, the brother of Wayne, gave the visitors the lead after seven minutes in spectacular fashion from inside his own half, and the lead was doubled shortly after through Alex Reid.

Matty Lund pulled one back for the Dale but it wasn’t enough to stop the upset.

Read Gloucester City’s match preview on tomorrow evening’s match against Telford United.

Port Vale 0-1 King’s Lynn Town

King’s Lynn Town managed to make their way into the second round of the FA Cup for the first time in their history as they defeated Port Vale 1-0.

A late goal from Sonny Carey was enough to see the National League side – who were originally formed in 2010, win their first-round tie, in what was also their first time in the first round after receiving a bye in the fourth round of qualifying when Notts County pulled out due to a Covid-19 outbreak.

Dagenham and Redbridge 3-1 Grimsby Town

Two injury-time goals put the game to bed for Dagenham and Redbridge as they defeated League Two opposition, Grimsby Town.

The National League side took the lead after 10 minutes through Scott Wilson but were pegged back by Owen Windsor’s penalty.

Wilson gave the Daggers the lead in the 91st minute and the victory was sealed when Mitch Brundle slotted his penalty home in the 96th minute.

This is the first time Dagenham have reached the second round since 2015.

Colchester United 1-1 Marine (Marine win 3-5 on penalties)

A penalty-shootout win sent eighth tier Marine through to the second round for the first time since 1992 as they beat League Two opposition Colchester United.

 The Northern Premier League Division One North West took the lead through Anthony Miley, but a second-half equaliser from former Cheltenham Town’s, Harry Pell sent the game to extra-time, where the score remained 1-1.

Mike Howard scored the winning penalty for the visitors to keep their FA Cup dream alive.

Bromley 0-1 Yeovil Town

A last-gasp winner gave Yeovil Town the victory against their National League counterparts, Bromley, to send the Somerset side through to the second round.

It was academy graduate Gabby Rodgers who scored in injury time of added time to seal the victory for Yeovil as the game was bound for penalties.

It’s the second time in as many years that Yeovil have made it to the second round.

Brackley Town 3-3 Bishop’s Stortford (Brackley Town win 3-2 on penalties)

National League North side Brackley Town defeated Bishop’s Stortford 3-2 on penalties after a spirited comeback from the visitors in normal time.

Goals from Lee Ndlovu and Matt Lowe gave the host’s a two goal lead in the opening 20 minutes before Darren Foxley gave the visitors hope when he pulled a goal back early in the second half.

Brackley extended their lead back to two goals just four minutes later, however, the Isthmian League side didn’t back down as a late goal from Foxley added to Tom Richardson’s earlier goal to level the game at 3-3.

Correy Davidson missed the decisive penalty for the visitors which saw Brackley advance to the second round for the first time since 2016.

Boreham Wood 3-3 Southend United (Boreham Wood win 4-3 on penalties)

League Two Southend United are still without a win in all competitions this season as they were knocked out of the cup on penalties to National League Boreham Wood.

The Wood went into a 2-0 lead with goals in either half from Jamal Fyfield and Mark Ricketts, however Southend had levelled the scoring just 11 minutes later through Brandon Goodship and Terrell Egbri.

The affair was sent to extra-time and Kabongo Tshimanga’s penalty regained the lead for the home side, however Southend fought-back again through James Olayinka, sending the game to penalties.

Jason Demetriou missed the all-important Southend penalty, meaning Boreham Wood reach the second round for the first time since 2017, whilst Southend’s poor form continues.

Havant & Waterlooville 1-0 Cray Valley Paper Mills

A non-league side was guaranteed to progress to the second round from this tie and it was Havant and Waterlooville who came out on top as they defeated Isthmian League South East Division side Cray Valley Paper Mills 1-0.

Bedsente Gomis’ first-half header was the only goal of the game to guarantee the Hawks progressed to the second round for the first time since 2007-08, where they managed to make it all the way to the fourth round.

Wigan Athletic 2-3 Chorley

One of the biggest shocks of the round, Chorley – who currently sit rock bottom of the National League North – came from two goals behind to beat League One Wigan Athletic.

Joe Garner and Tom James put the Latics 2-0 up and in control 34 minutes in, however the 2013 FA Cup winners went into the break with 10-men after Adam Long’s red card just before half-time.

Elliott Newby scored just after the break for Chorley before Harry Cardwell equalised for the visitors to send the game to extra-time.

The Magpies scored the winner in extra time through Connor Hall to send his side into the second round for the third time in their history and for the first time since 1990.

Barnet 1-0 Burton Albion

National League side Barnet edged past League One Burton Albion to earn themselves a spot in the second round.

A wonderful goal from Wesley Fonguck 10 minutes in was the only goal of the game as they overcame Burton Albion – who are ranked 40 places higher than the Bees.

It’s the first time that Barney have made the second round since 2018, where they made it all the way to round four.

Scunthorpe United 2-3 Solihull Moors

National League side Solihull Moors survived a late scare to hold on and progress to the second round of the FA Cup as they beat League Two Scunthorpe United 3-2.

Stephen Gleeson gave the visitors the lead four minutes in from the penalty spot before John McAtee’s equaliser 10 minutes later.

 Krystian Pearce’s header after the restart regained the lead for the Moors and the lead was doubled with 10 minutes to go when Gleeson once again slotted home from the penalty spot.

Solihull goalkeeper Ryan Boot’s poor clearance fell to Kevin Van Veen who tapped into an empty net for Scunthorpe to cut the deficit to one, however, the home side were unable to muster a comeback and crashed out the competition.

Solihull have now reached the second round for three-consecutive seasons.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *