VIDEO: Harry Randall reflects on Hartpury RFC securing their Greene King IPA Championship future with a victory over London Scottish

The boot of Jacob Perry proved the difference as Hartpury RFC toppled London Scottish, 14-11, at home in round 17 of the Greene King IPA Championship.

The victory puts some breathing space between the two side who were sat tenth and eleventh in the table before today’s fixture.

Perry and Atkins of Scottish exchanged penalties throughout the first half, before Hartpury’s sustained pressure on the Scottish line eventually told. They tied in defenders before spreading the ball wide to, Matt Wilcox, who slid over to give the hosts an 11-6 lead at the half.

Perry’s boot secured the victory, adding an extra three points in the second-half before Jones crashed over in the final minutes for a consolation score for the visitors.


What Happened?

In a physical encounter at Hartpury College it was the hosts who took the lead early doors as Llewellyn Jones was deemed to have not rolled away at the ruck, and Perry stepped up to get Hartpury on the board.

Harry Randall looked back to his best on his return to the side as he spotted a gap in the Scottish defence to dart through and turn on the after-burners, before skilfully chipping the ball, trapping Scottish in their twenty-two.

Scottish levelled up the scores on the ten-minute mark through the boot of Atkins, before Matt Eliet was sin-binned for a dangerous tip tackle on Iain Grieve.

Hartpury failed to seize the advantage of the extra man as both teams struck penalties to keep the game tied up going into the tail-end of the half.

A piece of quick-thinking from Hartpury winger, Tom Hudson led to the opening score, a quick line-out saw Hartpury then kick to pin Scottish on their five metre.  

The hosts turned over the ball and the physical presence of Grieve and Dyer, but to name a few, drew in the Scottish defence before the ball was played wide for Wilcox to score.

Fly-half, Perry stretched Hartpury’s lead to beyond seven points early in the second-half as Scottish were again penalised for being offside.

London Scottish looked to test the Hartpury defence, retaining the ball for twenty plus phases on the Hartpury twenty-two, but the hosts’ red wall held firm before turning the ball over.

Scottish had their tails up in the second-half and with five minutes to go centre, Ross Neal broke the line to put Jones over in the corner to set up a tense finale, but the hosts held on to secure the win.

Hartpury RFC team in full:

15. Mike Wilcox, 14. George Perkins, 13. Sam Bedlow, 12. Luke Eves, 11. Tom Hudson, 10. Jacob Perry, 9. Harry Randall; 1. Dan Murphy ©, 2. Darren Dawidiuk, 3. Mike Daniels, 4. Alex Craig, 5. Joe Quinn, 6. Rob Langley, 7. Will Safe, 8. Darren Dyer.

Replacements: 16. Luke Stratford, 17. Mike Flook, 18. Ciaran Knight, 19. Rhys Oakley, 20. Iain Grieve, 21. Harry Cochrane, 22. George Boulton.

London Scottish team in full:

15. Craig Holland, 14. Matt Williams, 13. Ross Neal, 12. Ben Mosses, 11. Charlie Ingal, 10. Jacob Atkins, 9. Alex Walker; 1.  Jonny Harris, 2. Isaac Miller ©, 3. Ewan McQuillin, 4. James Tyas, 5. Oli Curry, 6. Llewellyn Jones, 7. Matt Eliet, 8. Joe Atkinson;

Replacements: 16. Dan George, 17. Ben Onyeama Christie, 18. Phil Cringle, 19. Matt Marley, 20. Ed Hoadley, 21. Jake Sharp, 22. Joe Luca Smith.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *