RUGBY: Danny Cipriani stars again in Gloucester win over Leicester

Gloucester secured convincing win at home against Leicester Tigers, as the Gallagher Premiership tournament returned to action. 

The Cherry & Whites ran in five tries in a thrilling 36-13 encounter against closes rivals in the table Tigers. 

Returning Danny Cipriani was a pivotal player for the home side and thanks to his sublime hands and technique several of his teams tries were scored.  

Olly Thorley went over in the dying seconds of the game to leave the Gloucester faithful full of joy heading into their encounter next weekend against top of the table Exeter Chiefs away at Sandy Park. 

A dominant display by the Cherry & Whites in the first half saw them head into the break leading 22-6. The first points of the evening were scored through the boot of fly-half Danni Cipriani who was returning from suspension.

Not long after Tigers equalised when the home side gave away a straight forward kick in front of the post, which young fly-half Joe Ford had no difficulty in kicking over.

Gloucester were feeling the benefits of having Cipriani back in the side and the play makers sublime hands lead to full back Jason Woodward running over to score the first try of the evening. Cipriani added the extras to bring the scores to 10-6 with 20 minutes played.

The visitors were forced to make early changes when Guy Thompson left the field of play on a stretcher and scrum half Ben White departed for an HIA.

Tigers then secured another penalty, but their efforts were scarped soon after when Matt Banahan went over to score his side’s second. The conversion was missed by Cipriani.

A high tackle on Cipriani handed Gloucester a penalty, off which Fraser Balmain scored a third for the Cherry & Whites. This time Cipriani managed to add the extras to head his side into the break leading 22-6.

The home side started the second half in much the same fashion. With only seven minutes played Olly Thorley went over to score his sides fourth try after some lovely passing from the backs.

Woodward was denied a second try after a lovely piece a play, which stared when Cipriani made a break with Banahan from their own half. The ball went through several hands before it ended in Woodward’s, but one of the passes was deemed forward and the try was disallowed.

Tigers went over to score their first try through Mike Williams off the back of a maul and Ford added the extras to bring the score to 29-13.

A brilliant break in the dying seconds by replacement Ben Morgan, who was returning after a knock he picked up whilst training with the England squad, set Thorley up for his second. Billy Twelvetrees kicked the conversion to end the match 36-13.

On his second try the youngster said: “I got the ball and was looking at the space, seeing where the defenders were. I was just thinking how I can manipulate these defenders and then you just rely on your body to get you there.”

The win moves them up to third in the table behind last season’s winners Saracens. They face Exeter Chiefs three times in their next four matches.

Written by: Jessica Tolkien

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *