MATCH REPORT: Gloucester Rugby 36-16 Worcester Warriors

An emphatic second half from Gloucester gave them a comfortable victory against Worcester at Kingsholm on Saturday.

Johan Ackermann’s team went into the break with the score 10-9 in the Cherries and Whites favour.

Gloucester came into the second half a different team however, with four scores in 20 minutes completely destroying any hopes the away team had.

The win means that Gloucester now sit 3rd in the Premiership Rugby Table, overtaking Harlequins and Wasps as they continue to keep pressure on the top two.

Despite a fast paced start to the game, this did not translate onto the scoreline, as Danny Cipriani missed a penalty early on and neither side could get any points on the board.

It took another penalty for Gloucester to break the deadlock, with Cirpriani kicking the ball long into the corner and Gloucester winning the resulting line out, before James Hanson scrambled the ball over the line for the opening try.

It was another line out for Gloucester that benefited them, and when the ball got to Cipriani, he found Jason Williams with a lovely pass, who then sent through Charlie Sharples who finished off a great try. Cipriani hit the post with the resulting conversion attempt, making the score 10-0.

TRY!!!! @CharlieSharples flies over!


— Gloucester Rugby (@gloucesterrugby) December 1, 2018

Duncan Weir reduced the deficit to just a point after three quick penalties, leaving the home side very frustrated as a lack of discipline cost them a strong lead going into half-time.

With the momentum appearing to shift to Worcester’s favour going into the second half, and Weir missed an opportunity to convert his fourth penalty and put his side ahead, but the Scotsman dragged his attempt wide.

After this, Gloucester rose to the occasion and produced a scintillating 20 minutes of Rugby to surge into a healthy lead.

Owen Williams found Ollie Thorley with a wonderful switch pass, and Thorley danced his way past a defender to get the try, with Billy Twelvetrees missing the resulting conversion.


Ollie Thorley’s flying finish for his second try is nominated for the Citizen #TryOfTheWeek

Vote now 👉🏽

— Gloucester Rugby (@gloucesterrugby) December 3, 2018

Gloucester went from strength to strength in the second half, Freddie Clarke adding a bonus point try to extend their lead, with Twelvetrees converting this time round for the hosts’ first successful kick of the match.

Worcester’s Chris Pennell was sent to the sin bin to make it even more of an uphill climb for the visitors, and Gloucester capitalised as Jaco Visagie and another try for Thorley made the score 36-9 with under 20 minutes to go.

Bryce Heem scored a consolation try for the Warriors, but it was a dominant display in the second half from Gloucester that warranted a large margin victory.

Gloucester Head Coach Johan Ackermann spoke after the game:

“We spoke about how we had to start well.

They are a quality side and they’ve proven that so we knew we had to start well to get the confidence.

We made a few silly mistakes, especially on our discipline.

The main message at half-time was to go out with the same energy we started with.

The last 10-15 minutes wasn’t so pleasing.”

Gloucester Rugby play in the Heineken Cup on Saturday, as they take on 2nd placed Exeter Chiefs in a tough fixture at Sandy Lane.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *