Match Report: Evesham United 1 Salisbury FC 2

The visitors record third successive win as they move ten points clear of Evesham.

Salisbury made it three wins out of their last four League matches following a fine 2-1 victory over Evesham United at the Jubilee Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The away side took the lead in stoppage time of the first half through midfielder Daniel Young, who broke the deadlock between the two teams with defender George Benson doubling the visitors advantage shortly after the interval.

The hosts halved the deficit through Matt Liddiard, however the away side held on for victory in a top of the table clash.

Salisbury now edge further away from their Southern League competitors as they move ten points clear of their opponents with The Robins now remaining in third place within the Evo-Stik Southern League.

Following his side’s victory, Salisbury manager Steve Claridge was full of praise for his team’s performance.

“I thought we played really well in the first half, it was a shame to go down to 10 men but we had to deal with the setback. Before the game we knew how strong they were going to be, so we had to play well”, the former Portsmouth manager said.

“We have a great group of players and I’m sure with performances like today we can continue to do well in this division”.

Following a fine run of results for both sides, the eagerly anticipated Southern League One clash was one that promised high expectations for everyone associated, where third faced second.

Goals from Daniel Young and George Benson either side of half-time put the visitors in a commanding position against the home side. The hosts did pull a goal back through talisman Matt Liddiard however his goal couldn’t prevent the red and whites from defeat.

Following three first half dismissals – Archie Haskayne and Linden Dovey for The Robins and Owen Howe for The Whites – the game as expected, was full of drama. Early efforts from Adam Mann and George Coulson almost broke the deadlock and a Luke Hopper header was expertly stopped by in form goalkeeper Kevin Sawyer.

The breakthrough eventually came on the stroke of half-time, as Coulson’s low driven cross was met by Young, where the striker saw his effort fire into the bottom left hand corner of the Evesham goal.

After offering very little in the first half, the second continued in a similar vein. The visitors appeared to play like the home side and were awarded a penalty on 52 minutes – as the returning Garyn Preen cynically brought down Benson in the box. The right back cooly converted the spot kick to double his side’s advantage going into the final third of the game.

Evesham were soon given a reprieve, when former Gloucester City man Liddiard headed home on 54 minutes, halving the score line deficit, following a headed Adam Mann corner into the roof of the net.

Stuart Green almost restored the away side’s two goal cushion as he skewed his initial attempt wide of the post, following good play once more from full back Benson.

The result leaves Paul Collicutt’s side now 10 points adrift of an automatic promotion spot as they face a tough test against Swindon Supermarine next weekend. The away side will be pleased with their fine display against a difficult outfit and are now edging further to National League promotion.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *