LOCAL FOOTBALL: Sam Law looks back at the weekend’s action

Gary Johnson’s Cheltenham Town made it seven games unbeaten after they surrendered the lead twice to draw 2-2 with Blackpool.

The Robins took the lead courtesy of a Danny Pugh own goal after a dangerous James Dayton free-kick, but were pegged back after Kyle Vassell equalised. Danny Wright restored his side’s lead just before half time, but Vassell scored his second of the game to earn a valuable point.

Johnson’s side remain in 16th, just two points above the relegation zone, while Blackpool sit one place and one point above the Robins.

Forest Green extended their lead at the top of the table to four points as they were held 1-1 at home to Dagenham and Redbridge. Young striker Rhys Murphy gave Mark Cooper’s side the lead, before the Daggers managed to scrape an equaliser to take a share of the points.

Gloucester City continued their impressive run in the National League North as they put four past FC United of Manchester, winning 4-2 away at Broadhurst park.

The Tigers have two games in hand over Chorley, and sit four points behind them. Two wins from Tim Harris’ side will see them comfortably into the play-offs. They currently occupy sixth in the table.

Shortwood United also continued to impress as they ran riot at home to Wantage Town. Wantage, who are bottom of the league, couldn’t withstand Alex Sykes’ side’s outstanding performance.

Sykes’ team are now only six points behind Hereford at the top of the table, having only lost two games this season.

Charlie Griffin’s Cirencester Town were knocked out of the FA Trophy by Havant & Waterlooville.

Havant, who are in the play-offs of the Isthmain League, came from 1-0 down to claim a place in the next round.

Captain Mat Liddiard gave Cirencester the lead, before a spirited comeback saw Jason Prior head a last minute winner.

In The FA Trophy, Cinderford’s miserable season continued as they conceded six away at Merthyr Town. The Town have only won two of their seventeen games this season and are still without a manager.

There was some Trophy success however, as Bishop’s Cleeve defeated Banbury United. Jacob Davidge scored a 78th minute winner to send Steven Cleal’s side through, giving them their second win in a row.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *