Cheltenham Festival

Cheltenham Festival Day Two IN DOUBT

Day Two of Cheltenham Festival known as ‘Ladies Day’ is officially in doubt after Storm Gareth is expected to bring 50mph winds on Wednesday.

An inspection will take place at 8am on Wednesday morning with officials ‘optimistic’ that the card will go ahead.

A yellow warning has been issued across Gloucestershire for wind, which has been in place since 12pm on Tuesday.

Clerk of the course, Simon Claisse, suggested winds could be as strong as 50mph.

In an update on Twitter, he said: “We wanted to give you an early insight into conditions for tomorrow as the forecast is looking challenging with strong gusting winds throughout the day.

“We are continually monitoring the situation and will keep racegoers informed as the conditions present themselves.”

The going changed to soft, good to soft in places before racing began on day one following heavy rain over the weekend.

Ian Renton Regional Director for the south west region of The Jockey Club said: “Strong gusting winds are forecast for the area on Wednesday, but their precise strength and location are not possible to predict in advance.

“It’s important to let customers and participants know the exact situation as it stands.

“While our focus is to race tomorrow, should the weather conditions not allow this we would stage the whole of Wednesday’s card on Saturday.

“Should the Saturday plan be required tomorrow, full details will be announced then, including race schedule.

“If racing is not able to go ahead on Wednesday, a full refund would be issued automatically to all ticket bookers.”

It isn’t the first time that the races have been affected by weather conditions, as there were issues 11 years ago resulting in a change of programme.

Follow our live blog for live updates from Champions Day at the Cheltenham Festival.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *