REPORT: Cheltenham cruise to victory over play-off hopefuls Swindon Town

By Adam Micklewright

Mo Eisa netted his nineteenth and twentieth goals of the season, after a Jake Andrews free kick, to measure an accomplished three nil win at the County Ground. The win all but secures the League Two status of Gary Johnson’s side after an impressive string of performances.

The hosts flexed their muscles early on and showed their pedigree, with Will Boyle needing to make a crucial header to deny Chris Robertson a certain goal from a corner. Matt Taylor caused more issues with his in-swinging set pieces, when Luke Norris was presented with a chance from point blank range, Grimes was impeccably placed to deny him.

Cheltenham began to channel the form that has seen them pick up points at Luton and Notts County. Slick passing led to Morrell being brought down after quarter of an hour, waved away dismissively by the referee. The visitors then sensed a chink in the armour of the deflated hosts and mistakes started to present the Robins with the ball.

More intense pressure followed as the Robins grew in stature and exponentially bred confidence. Elsnik was forced to make a good block to deny the influential Morrell. Referee Tom Nield then mistakenly sent off James Dunne, only to reverse the call and give a caution for scything down Jake Andrews.

The deadlock was broken with some precise, deadeye quality on 41 minutes. Jake Andrews curled a sublime free kick into the top corner, which left the hosts shell shocked, echoed by hostile sniping sneers from the Swindon crowd. The one chance Swindon will rue was when in form Player of the Month Marc Richards spurned a chance from 10 yards. His shot was gathered by Flinders with ease being a metaphoric example of the dry Swindon performance. The timid show lacked any mettle or spirit that has seen them rise to seventh this season.

Matt Taylor’s fledgling team talk proved ineffective as red hot Mo Eisa shrugged off a couple of lacklustre challenges to comprehensively double the lead. The sharp Sudanese forward was in the mood, with Joe Morrell pulling the strings behind him. The confidence was well and truly flowing from the The Robins. Substitute Odelusi then proceeded to rampage past three Swindon challenges and square the ball into Eisa. Only one touch was needed before a clinical laser like finish sealed the three points. The twenty-three year old’s fleet of foot and agile spindly figure continued to cause problems for the Town back line, many will be looking at the forward this summer. As the hostility grew, so did the frustration, which was greeted by jeers at the full-time whistle. The dejected and deflated side looked well beaten.

An emphatic display sees the visitors move 13 points clear of the drop, which condemned Swindon to a fourth defeat in six, slipping to ninth.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *